tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Lin <tcw00l...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: JDBC & ORACLE implementation !
Date Mon, 24 Feb 2003 14:03:39 GMT

overall, using JDBC with Tomcat is the easy part. Deciding how to implement your tables and
application logic will be the hard part. If your data is not normalized and doesn't need to
be, then the first thing you should look into is statistical analysis of text. there are several
well tested algo's for doing this type of processing. Unfortunately I don't know the name
of the algo's. I worked on integrating personalization applications a couple years back relating
to filtering news.

If your needs aren't too complex, it shouldn't take too long to implement some form of statistical
analysis. Using file system to store the entire text doesn't necessarily mean you can't store
the text summaries in Oracle. Google for related topics and you should be to find some examples.
If you're needs are more complex, you'll need to look into grammar based parsing, which is
a slow process. Most of the comparison between grammar based and statistical parsing has shown
that statistical is more effective. hope that helps.

peter

 Swapneel Dange <s_dange@hotmail.com> wrote:hey peter, mike & chong !

so if i stay with a small thing like SQLPLUS, the JDBC connectivity wont be
a tough thing to do as compared to the ORACLE implementation. right ?
because in last few days after consulting with some people in-house here, i
am thinking over the OPTION of SQLPLUS.

do commment on this !

Swapneel Dange
505-642-4126