tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Steven J. Owens" <puffm...@darksleep.com>
Subject Re: Re[2]: Best Logging practices
Date Sat, 22 Feb 2003 03:09:51 GMT
On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 05:14:39PM -0300, Felipe Schnack wrote:
>   What are the real advantages os log4j? Everybody says it's better, but
> no one says why :-)

     I wrote up a brief comparison, it's at http://darksleep.com.  The
main answer is that just using *any* logging API is more than half the
battle, and it's likely to be a lot easier to switch from one logging
API to another than to switch from System.out.println() to using a
logging API.

     The conclusion at the time I wrote that there wasn't a *huge*
difference, though log4j has been around longer, and is hence likely
stabler and has more and better connectors.  Also note that the
official logging API made no bones about not planning to do anything
special to support enterprise logging needs anytime soon.  Both of
those may have changed since then, of course, and somebody else in
this thread mentioned that log4j supports the JDK logging API, which
is even cooler.

     At the time I wrote the above comparison (a year or more ago) the
logging API wasn't out of beta yet, and since we weren't running the
beta JDK, and since we'd have to download and install a jar file
anyway, we figured we might as well download and install log4j.

Steven J. Owens
puff@darksleep.com

 Take it all with a grain of salt." - Me at http://darksleep.com