tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Steven J. Owens" <puffm...@darksleep.com>
Subject Re: What is the best book about Servlets/Jsp?
Date Thu, 20 Feb 2003 18:50:19 GMT
On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 01:41:43PM -0500, Erik Price wrote:
> Mike Jackson wrote:

> >However I'll agree, I don't look at the books often, usually by this
> >point I go to the java docs.
>
> I'll second this, the javadocs are much quicker than going to a book now
> that I know where to look for stuff.  The book was just a great way to
> get the basics down.  And for clarification on some things I peruse the
> spec, though I haven't had time to actually read it straight through.

     The javadocs are indispensable and what I use the majority of the
time, for reference.  Reading the specs can be really useful,
particularly the servlet spec (read the servlet spec *before* you read
the JSP spec), but if you're new to this stuff, you may want to get a
more gentle introduction.

     For further, detailed recommendations from me and some other
folks see the end of:

http://darksleep.com/puff/writings/j2eeoverview.html

     You may also find the rest of the article useful, as it's a quick
and dirty overview of JSPs, servlets and EJBs.  It might give you
enough of the "lay of the land" to figure out where to start.

Steven J. Owens
puff@darksleep.com

 Take it all with a grain of salt." - Me at http://darksleep.com