tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <>
Subject RE: web page errors
Date Tue, 11 Feb 2003 17:29:51 GMT

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Peter Choe wrote:

> Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 10:19:21 -0500
> From: Peter Choe <>
> To: Tomcat Users List <>,
>      Tomcat Users List <>
> Subject: RE: web page errors
> do i need to set up the web.xml for each application, or is there a way to
> have one set up for all the applications in one place?

The following technique is Tomcat specific, and unlikely to work anywhere
else, but it does happen to work here.

Tomcat loads the $CATALINA_HOME/web.xml file before it loads your own
web.xml file, for each webapp.  Therefore, anything declared in
$CATALINA_HOME/web.xml becomes a global default.

However, I would urge you to not take advantage of this feature -- it's
going to make your webapps more fragile when you do things like upgrade to
a different version of Tomcat (which makes all your customizations go away
again).  Building the complete set of settings into the web.xml file for
each individual app is the safest strategy -- and it's easy to automate
gluing together a web.xml from some standard chunks of stuff, plus the
unique things for a particular webapp, in a build script.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message