tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Shutdown.sh does not work when long lasting operations, such as SQL Queries, are still active! (fwd)
Date Mon, 10 Feb 2003 19:51:28 GMT
Answered a question on TOMCAT-DEV today that also related to a query on
TOMCAT-USER yesterday -- here's the forwarded response.

Craig

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 11:06:55 -0800 (PST)
From: Craig R. McClanahan <craigmcc@apache.org>
To: Tomcat Developers List <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Subject: RE: Shutdown.sh does not work when long lasting operations,
     such  as SQL Queries, are still active!

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Jindong Li wrote:

> Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 13:53:52 -0500
> From: Jindong Li <Jindong.Li@solcorp.com>
> To: 'Tomcat Developers List' <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: RE: Shutdown.sh does not work when long lasting operations,
>      such  as SQL Queries, are still active!
>
> I think that's what we're experiencing here with Tomcat4.0.5...we have been
> using TC401 and the shutdown is instant...but I think they have changed the
> way TC is shutting down now...TC will gracefully shutdown i.e. waiting for
> all threads finish and then exit...
>
> If you want...you can try TC401, see if you still experience the delay...
>
> I posted a similar message before and haven't got any response from the
> community yet...:-(

It is OK for web applications to start threads -- as long as the web
application cleans up after itself when the application is shut down (the
easiest way to detect that is to create a ServletContextListener and wait
for the contextDestroyed() method of your listener to be called).

The JVM running Tomcat shuts down when all non-daemon threads have been
killed.  Tomcat properly cleans up all the threads that *it* creates -- it
is up to your application to do the same.

> Jindong.

Craig