tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Do something after the webapp starts
Date Sat, 01 Feb 2003 18:10:28 GMT

On Sat, 1 Feb 2003, rf wrote:

> Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 02:01:08 -0800 (PST)
> From: rf <rufoo2001@yahoo.com>
> To: Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: Do something after the webapp starts
>

> --- "Craig R. McClanahan" <craigmcc@apache.org> wrote:
> > > [1] I want to deploy axis services
> > programmatically
> > > after application starts. This is done by an
> > > AdminClient contacting the server. But the problem
> > is
> > > that the server is not yet up! Where do you think
> > > should I do this deployment?
> > >

> > We had a similar design requirement for the Java Web
> > Services Developer
> > Pack (http://java.sun.com/webservices/), where we
> > needed some webapps to
> > be initialized and functioning before requests could
> > be processed.  The
>

> Are these initializations not part of the webapp which
> gets requests?

In the JWSDP scenario, we had a case where one webapp, as part of its
initialization, needed to make an HTTP request to a different webapp
running in the same Tomcat instance.  Because the connectors inside a
<Service> don't get enabled until all the webapps in that <Service> have
been initialized, we couldn't accomplish this goal without going to two
<Service> entries.

> > solution used there was to create two <Service>
> > elements in the server.xml
> > file, because Tomcat guarantees that the first
> > <Service> will be
> > completely initialized and available before the
> > second one is started.
> >

> Here in my case, everything is in one webapp. Do you
> still suggest me to split up things into two webapps
> to be put separately in contexts of two <Service>
> elements?

Configuring and deploying Axis-based web services sounds like a good
question for the Axis user list.

> I dont know much about <Service> - I have look at the
> docs briefly.
>
> > You might want to download JWSDP and see how the
> > default server.xml file
> > there is set up.
> >
> > > thanks.
> >
> > Craig