tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Will Hartung" <wi...@msoft.com>
Subject Re: startup order for applications
Date Thu, 27 Feb 2003 22:00:03 GMT

Hmm...that's a bugger. You can't listen for the socket of the webservice, as
it may not come up until after your dependent app is finished initializing.

You can't "wait" for the other application, as if it's the first one to
start up, it will block and the second webapp may never get a chance to
initialize.

Have you tried to see if the placement of the contexts within the server.xml
is deterministic? i.e. The first context always starts before the next, or
vice-a-versa? You might be able to glean some information from the source
code about startup order.

I doubt there is any way to ensure the startup order of arbitrarily placed
webapps in the webapp directory. Those may be "auto-deployed" and
initialized in the order they appear within the directory, which is
internally unsorted and should be considered arbitrary.

There isn't any portable way of ensuring webapp start up order, that I'm
aware of at least.

Let us know what works for you.

Regards,

Will Hartung