tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Will Hartung" <wi...@msoft.com>
Subject Re: [OT] How to quote ? !
Date Tue, 25 Feb 2003 19:31:01 GMT

This is key I think, the classic quote all followed by "Me too" are pretty
worthless. Even worse are the ones that quote the entire post and slip a
single response buried in the middle.

I don't care much for "answers" first as they tend to have little context,
making me scroll hither and yon trying to figure out what is going on. But,
for quick answers they work.

However, a lot of this boils down to the program people are using.

Outlook likes to "answer first", mostly because the classic > text style of
quoting doesn't work with RTF or other formats. My Outlook seems to pick and
choose when and when not to prepend the >. It's very aggravating.

But, it's all discipline and hard work. (For example, I copied this post
into vi to format it, becuase Outlook wouldn't...sigh). What I like is
pretty much irrelevant, as there's no way to change it or "enforce". Silly
rules I say. It's just part of the way folks deal with mailing lists.

Welcome to the Internet.

Regards,

Will Hartung
(willh@msoft.com)