tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Will Hartung" <wi...@msoft.com>
Subject Re: Best Logging practices
Date Wed, 19 Feb 2003 22:43:50 GMT

Well, there is the temp area that's made available by the container, but
it's not a persistent storage area.

>      One thought though; for web applications you're supposed to get
> external resources by configuring them in the web.xml and using
> ServletContext.getResourceAsStream().  This only supports input
> streams, but I've always sort of felt it should support output streams
> as well.  Or that there should be some similar mechanism, so that at
> least the point where you're crossing the web application boundary is
> explicitly and clearly defined in a standard central location for such
> information.

But, once you're cracking open the web.xml, then you might as well point it
to a directory or JDBC instance.

The real issue is, of course, that it's SUPPOSED to be difficult to write
things, as writing things "consumes resources" on the host machine, compared
to reading, which is non-destructive.

I do agree, however, that it would be nice to have some persistent area
available.

Minimally, it would be nice if the container was supposed to offer up a
persitent implemenation of the Preferences API, or a writeable JNDI
implementation.

However, to be fair, I think a lot of that motivation is being sucked into
the J2EE side of the equation. It's a real question how long Servlets will
be stand alone at all.

Regards,

Will Hartung
(willh@msoft.com)