tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mike Johnson <...@miketec.org>
Subject RE: Excel sheets
Date Tue, 25 Feb 2003 04:09:37 GMT

Well, I figure if you go to all the trouble of setting headers or funky
request strings, the server has done it's job and you can wash your
hands from there. If IE sucks that badly, just tell your users you've
got a CD from mozilla.org that'll fix it. :-)

On Sun, 2003-02-23 at 20:20, John Leveille wrote:
> And the swirl goes on ...
> try putting putting
> response.setHeader("Content-disposition", "attachment;
> filename=foo.csv");
> and watch as you get two save as dialogs from the browser (I.E. 5.5, I
> think) ... ouch!
>
> WARNING: You can waste a lot of time on this problem.  Proceed at your
> own risk :-)
>
> We reported a bug to Microsoft on the double dialog problem ... you
> guessed it ... software is working as designed.  They actually said
> that having to respond to two "save as" dialogs was per design.
>
> Figures,
> John

combinations of browser make, browser version, and web server make and version.  In the past
I have found that I.E. ignores the content-type header (bad browser! bad browser!).  But,
by all means, do as Tim says and set the proper header (probably text/csv).

> > If that doesn't do it, try adding a couple fake parameters to the URL (because I.E.
is looking there to decide what client app to launch).  For example, if you have a servlet
creating the CSV your URL might look like