tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Bryan Field-Elliot <bryan_li...@netmeme.org>
Subject Re: Tomcat and JBoss
Date Sun, 16 Feb 2003 01:47:30 GMT
They are very different systems, but they work great together, and JBoss
even distributes a special version of JBoss bundled with (integrated
with) Tomcat.

In short - Tomcat is a "container" (basically, a server) for Java
Servlets and JSP pages. There are some extra bells and whistles thrown
in but that's it's main job.

JBoss is a full-blown J2EE container, which includes Servlets and JSP
pages (e.g. via Tomcat), but also JMS, EJB, etc.

I suggest buying the book Java Enterprise in a Nutshell published by
O'Reilly for an overview of the whole J2EE framework (e.g. JBoss), and
Servlets/JSP in particular (e.g. Tomcat).

Bryan