tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Joe Tomcat <tom...@mobile.mp>
Subject Re: LE vs. Full
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2003 12:12:44 GMT
Hi Rick.

> Type java -version from the command line where you are running the RPM to be
> sure you are getting 1.4.1.  RH 8.0 ships with a JDK 1.3.1.

That command returns:

# java -version
java version "1.4.1"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1-b21)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.1-b21, mixed mode)

so root is definitely using java 1.4.1 as its java.  In fact java 1.3.1
is not installed on that machine.

> JAVA_HOME doesn't have any effect on the shell, only on Tomcat.  You have to
> set your path so that the shell finds 1.4.1 before 1.3.1, so it can find all
> the 1.4.1 stuff it is looking for for the dependency checks.

How is it doing the dependency checks?  Somehow it is not detecting the
1.4.1.  Is there anything I can do to make it do that?

> Since a Tomcat install doesn't install any libraries or do anything except
> upack the files you might be able to roll your own simple RPM to install it.
> Or just write a script that unpacks Tomcat with the assumption that 1.4.1 is
> already installed.

I would much prefer to use the ready-made RPMs.  That way when a new one
comes out I can quickly just install it.  I'm sure there's just some
very minor tweak that I need to do to get it to detect the right version
of java.  Is there a way to force the rpm to install without checking?
I know that 1.4.1 is there and has all the stuff it needs.

Thanks for any suggestions.