tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Will Hartung" <wi...@msoft.com>
Subject Re: JAASRealm/LoginManager questions
Date Fri, 14 Feb 2003 22:16:02 GMT
> From: "Craig R. McClanahan" <craigmcc@apache.org>
> Sent: Friday, February 14, 2003 1:28 PM
> Subject: Re: JAASRealm/LoginManager questions

*snip*

That's the biggest problem with specifications, you kind of have to be a bit
of a lawyer to conform with them. It is also why while the goal of any
specification is to be functional, it's even more important (particularly in
the case of a spec with as wide a reach as the Servlet spec) to be clear.

> In the mean time, there's a perfectly reasonable (albeit container
> dependent) way to accomplish what you want in Tomcat.  And, even if Tomcat
> did implement the form-based login wierdness you want, you're *still*
> stuck with the fact that no other container would necessarily follow
> Tomcat's lead on this.

Let me head over to the corner, grab my stool and white, pointy "Ignorant"
hat here as I butt in, but could what you want to be done be done portably
using Filters? IMHO Filters are the most powerful aspect of the 2.3 spec as
they provide a great layering and request trapping mechanism in a portable
way with which you can do just all sorts of truly horrible things.

I'd be very interested to hear why a Filter would NOT work in this case, but
as I said, I haven't been totally following the thread here. It's probably
glaringly pointed out on line 12 of the initial post (RTFML Will! STFU!).

Humbly...

Regards,

Will Hartung
(willh@msoft.com)