tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Sean Dockery" <s...@sbdconsultants.com>
Subject Re: FAQ (was Re: MY ATTIT...)
Date Tue, 11 Feb 2003 22:50:45 GMT
The simple fact is that people post questions because they lack answers to
those questions.  They lack answers because they can't be bothered to invest
time in searching for those answers (i.e.: won't RTFM) or perhaps just don't
know where to look for those answers.

The ASF web sites are great, but the documentation sometimes assumes that
the readers have attained a level of expertise that perhaps they haven't.
The largest problem I experience when reading through ASF documentation is
that must of it is written from a technical reference stand point.  It is
the difference between knowing how to do a thing and knowing what (and why)
things must be done.  I am not knocking ASF efforts;

The FAQ (as I am imagining it) does not merely have to be about answering
questions; it could be a platform which can be leveraged to find out where
to go get answers.  Many of the responses in the newsgroup are currently
instructions about going to this web site or that web site to read a given
document.  There are several dozen HOW-TO resources on the ASF web sites and
elsewhere that should be referenced and leveraged.

Having a FAQ isn't necessarily redundant.  I personally like to purchase two
or even three technical books on a particular subject so that if one of the
authors explains something awkwardly or inadequately, I can look to another
author's explanation to gain a richer understanding.

I do not believe that ignoring people who post questions which are off topic
is the way.  The mailing list would be moderated if that view were
prevalent.  (People who blatantly abuse guidelines after they have been
instructed on them can be ignored, however.  Ignoring posts is one common
method by which list members can punish repeat guideline offenders.)  On the
other hand, having a focused resource might avoid 2 or 3 out of 10
questions--depending on how easy it is to search the FAQ and how
comprehensive the answers are.

The specific issues for me about writing a FAQ is that writing effectively
isn't always easy.  If the deliverable is expected to be worth it, I expect
the time commitment for such an endeavor would be daunting, too.

Do I know answers to question that are posted on the mailing list?  Yes, I
know a lot of the answers.  For the answers I don't know, I often have a
resource at my fingertips in which I can easily find the answer.  Do I want
to help people?  Yes, I do.  I revel in learning things and teaching things.
I also hope that I am earning some level of recognition in the community
through answering questions.  That is to say, I am still vainly seeking
elements associated with level four of Maslow's hierarchy of needs.  :-)

Perhaps efforts spent composing a FAQ might be better spent on contributing
to existing documentation such as the Tomcat book project.
(http://tomcatbook.sourceforge.net)  I haven't decided what I'm going to do
either way.

What other projects exist does anyone know of that could use a leg up?

If having people follow the mailing guidelines is important, lobby to have
the guidelines page link added to the mailing list footer.

PS:  I do not consider this message to be off topic as it discusses Tomcat
documentation--which is directly relevant to Tomcat implementers,
administrators, and web application developers.

Sean Dockery
sean@sbdconsultants.com
Certified Java Web Component Developer
Certified Delphi Programmer