tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Sean Dockery" <s...@sbdconsultants.com>
Subject Re: Ant - Tomcat deploy question
Date Tue, 11 Feb 2003 16:21:40 GMT
Follow the development environment recommendation set out in the Tomcat
application developers guide, which you can find at
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/appdev/.

After you "install" your application into Tomcat, you can "reload" it on
demand without restarting Tomcat.  I had experienced problems with stale
classes staying in memory in the past, but I have not had any problems since
using this new approach.

Quick tip:  If you use the sample build.xml file provided in the Tomcat
AppDev manual, add the following lines to the section where the classpath is
constructed...

    <fileset dir="${build.home}/WEB-INF/lib">
      <include name="*.jar"/>
    </fileset>

...This will automatically include any JAR files that you have placed in
${web.home}/WEB-INF/lib (and which are subsequently copied to
${build.home}/WEB-INF/lib) into the classpath for you.

Sean Dockery
sean@sbdconsultants.com
Certified Java Web Component Developer
Certified Delphi Programmer