tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Hannes Schmidt <m...@schmidt-net.via.t-online.de>
Subject Re: crontab problems
Date Wed, 26 Feb 2003 12:00:56 GMT
Good morning!

When I deliberately use a non-existing hostname in order to force the lookup
to fail, the exception is thrown in a method indirectly called by
HttpURLConnection.connect(). This means that the lookup is not done in the
URL class, which in turn means that moving the URL instantiation into the
loop won't help anything.

java.net.UnknownHostException: swww.hannesschmidt.de
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:153)
at sun.net.NetworkClient.doConnect(NetworkClient.java:139)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient.java:386)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient.java:602)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.<init>(HttpClient.java:303)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.<init>(HttpClient.java:264)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:336)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:317)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:312)
at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.plainConnect(HttpURLConnection.j
ava:481)
at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.connect(HttpURLConnection.java:4
72)
at UrlWatchdog.main(UrlWatchdog.java:31)

Where do you get your excepetion? My guts is telling me that the lookup
result is cached by the operating system rather than a Java class. On the
other hand, caching a negative result should never be done by anything. So
the behaviour you illustrated is really strange. What platform does your
webapp run on?