tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Chris Catton" <chris.cat...@zoology.oxford.ac.uk>
Subject setting up jndi jdbc tomcat and postgres
Date Thu, 20 Feb 2003 18:31:53 GMT
The tomcat documentation on jndi and datasources
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jndi-datasource-examples
-howto.html asks for  feedback on setup with postgres.  We finally got
it working  using java 1.4, tomcat 4.1.18 on linux, postgres 7.2.1 on
linux with pg73jdbc2ee.jar.  The instructions miss one crucial thing -
on our system we were getting a datasource created, but on trying to get
a connection from the datasource the system seemed to hang.  A look at
the postgres log showed repeated attempts to connect.  Problem
eventually solved by putting 'select 1;' in the validationQuery

Seems the postgres driver wants the database to confirm the connection
is valid before handing it  back ..

Hope this saves someone else some headscratching - pls stick it in the
docs!

Chris Catton
BioImage Database Development Manager
Department of Zoology