tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Barley" <bar...@pacific.net>
Subject Class library question
Date Thu, 13 Feb 2003 17:45:29 GMT
Hi all,

I am migrating from a different servlet engine to
Tomcat, and so I already have quite a few web apps up
and running. I'd like to avoid shuffling things around
as much as possible on the move to Tomcat. Right now,
I've run into a problem with Tomcat being able to find
class libraries. Here's what I've done:

Created a <Host> in server.xml that points to the root
directory of one of my webapps. I then added a
<Context> in the Host to map a url to a subdirectory of
my Host root. Apache seems to be passing the request
over to Tomcat and Tomcat is trying to run my JSP, but
it can't find the classes that the JSP depends on.
Currently, those classes are located in the
/hostroot/WEB-INF/classes/ folder. I set up a link to a
lib subdirectory of WEB-INF as well, with no success.

So, my question is, does Tomcat look in the WEB-INF/lib
subdirectory of the Context or the Host? Is there any
way to map where it looks for classes for an entire
host? Is there a much better way to do what I am
trying?

A small map of my setup:

hostroot (where the <Host> points)
  |___agency (where the <Context> points)
  |  |____JSP pages (Tomcat can find these)
  |___WEB-INF
     |____classes (root of libraries)

So, calling the url my.host.com/agency/myjsp.jsp gets a
Tomcat error about being unable to find the necessary
classes.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

Gregg