tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Affan Qureshi" <quere...@etilize.com>
Subject HTML Character Entity replaced
Date Thu, 06 Feb 2003 05:58:18 GMT
On my data entry form if someone pastes an un-recognized/un-printable
character like "em space" (represented in HTML by &emsp; or &#8195; ) it is
shown as a box in the browser IE 5.0. (displayed fine in Netscape7.01).

However it is replaced by its character reference i.e &#8195; when the form
is submitted. So I cannot check and validate if I don't want these
characters to go in my database.  I want only ISO-8859-1 chars to be
allowed. Although my validation checks for non-ISO chars like ( TM) and  ?
?  o etc, but not for "em space".

Has anyone experienced this too? Can you tell me where does this translation
occur(browser/tomcat)? Also what can I do to achieve validation of these
types of characters.

Affan