tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jonathan Discount <jonathan.disco...@wcom.com>
Subject Context/mapping question
Date Thu, 13 Feb 2003 21:13:05 GMT
I'm running Tomcat 4.0.3 in conjunction with Apache 2 via mod_jk on Windows
2000 and Tru64 platforms.  I've been running a web app this way rather
successfully for some time now -- but I'd like to make it compliant with the
WAR structure to ease deployment... so here's the problem:

I drop the WAR into my application directory, Tomcat auto-expands it upon
startup and URI's such as:
http://localhost/mywebapp/HelloWorld work great.

I've got my WAR & web.xml files working well for this configuration -- all
servlets are expicitly defined in web.xml and mapped to a simplified name --
minus all the package information -- so
"com.wcom.mywebapp.servlet.HelloWorld" is simply mapped to "/HelloWorld".

My server.xml file is ultra-simple:  No contexts are explicitly defined.
Tomcat automatically generates the "/mywebapp" context at startup.

However, I would like to be able to refer to the same servlet as:
http://localhost/servlet/HelloWorld.

Apache & mod_jk have been configured correctly to forward "/servlet"
requests onto Tomcat -- so this request gets to Tomcat -- but Tomcat gives
an "HTTP Status 500 - No Context configured" error.

What do I need to do to my server.xml and/or web.xml files to make this
work?  I assume I need to add and/or tweak some context definition in
server.xml or change the mapping/URL-patterns in web.xml.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jonathan Discount
Software Systems Engineer
Worldcom