tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Larry Meadors" <Larry.Mead...@plumcreek.com>
Subject RE: about singletons (ot)
Date Wed, 29 Jan 2003 00:09:12 GMT
I would agree.

We had a static class and we thought it would work great...it turned out
that we ended up rewriting much of it to use the getInstance() type of
interface - it is just so much more flexible if you *EVER* need to
change stuff.

Larry

>>> mjackson@cdi-hq.com 01/28/03 16:08 PM >>>
The difference is that if you use a singleton there's one instance.  If
everything
is static then you only have one copy.  Usually when you use a singleton
it's to
control access to some resource, the intent is that you use the
singleton
and some
synchronized calls (note I don't mean synchronized methods, but
synchronized
code
blocks) to control threads using that resource.  You could probably
implement
a similiar system if everything were static, but I wouldn't want to try
(it's more
work than you think).

--mikej
-=-----