tomcat-users mailing list archives

Subject RE: can tomcat do dynamic virtual hosts?
Date Fri, 03 Jan 2003 20:42:09 GMT
On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Turner, John wrote:

> I think you're overthinking it.  Tomcat != Apache.  Webapps != Document
> Roots.

webapps are like document roots. That's my point. The only way you
can do a JkMount is by giving a worker, and the worker can only only serve
from a webapp based on the host and directory path in the uri.  Apache
lets you do things like map to /dir-for-dynamic-virt-hosts/a,
and JServ can handle it, but tomcat can't do things like that, and it
can't handle Alias directives either.  For example to have two hosts serve
the same webapp I had to give both <Host> elements the same appBase
paramater. Apache is much more flexible and lets you use the ServerAlias
> Tomcat needs to do what it needs to do because a web app is more than just a
> directory that has content in it.
Right, but sometimes you might want to lump multiple things into one

> You can't map to /examples/a and to examples/b for
> a very good reason.  There's no such thing as /examples/a and /examples/b.
> If you want that you setup /examples-a and /examples-b, which you CAN do
> with the auto-deploy function.
Which is my point.  Using auto-deply is not the same thing as simply
creating a directory and putting files in it. Apache has the dynamic
virtual host feature for a reason.  Using auto-deply requires that all
your content be under directories, which doesn't look as nice as having a
hostname. is better than
> Don't make Apache = Tomcat...they're completely different, not just in name
> and codebase, but also in purpose, intent, and design.
> On that note, anyone who tries to do power hosting with Tomcat in a single
> instance is being foolish, but that's my own personal opinion.  My
> production servers are using Jserv, but I wouldn't think of using a single
> Tomcat instance for all of my virtual hosts.  Doesn't make any sense at all.

If you mean one webapp, I don't want to either, but there are some related
virtual hosts that I do want lumped together.

> >From a user standpoint, if I was paying $30 a month or whatever for hosting,
> and my ISP told me that they couldn't restart my application because it
> would effect others, or that my application was going to be down because
> someone else's application was causing problems, I'd be pretty upset.  From
> that perspective, Tomcat does virtual hosting just fine, using separate
> instances, provided you have the resources.

That is one of the reasons we're moving to Tomcat, so we can restart one
of our webapps w/o restarting the others.  But we have to work around the
dynamic virtual host issue.

Doesn't it bother you that JServ, that ancient code, has some
functionality that tomcat doesn't?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message