tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Simon Hefti <he...@netcetera.ch>
Subject 4.1.18: how to disable writing of SESSIONS.ser ?
Date Fri, 10 Jan 2003 16:28:28 GMT
Hi,

I'm trying to turn off session serialization for Tomcat 4.1.18
(using jsdk 1.4.1). I did not find enough information in
the docs nor on the web, and did not succeed with trial and
error - so I try the list.

I figured I would have to add

<DefaultContext reloadable="false">
<Manager className="org.apache.catalina.session.StandardManager"
  debug="0"
  maxActiveSessions="-1"
  minIdleSwap="-1"
  maxIdleSwap="-1"
  maxIdleBackup="-1"
  pathname="/tmp">
</Manager>
</DefaultContext>

to the <Host> tag in my server.xml.

I figured I have to use the DefaultContext since I am deploying
my web app as a .war (thus: automatic Context creation, with
Context inheriting from DefaultContext). The idea was then
to use /dev/null as the "turn-off" pathname.

My understanding was that the SESSIONS.ser would now be written
to /tmp/SESSSIONS.ser - but that's not the case. It still shows
up in .../work/.../<webapp>/SESSIONS.ser.

>From the mailing list I understand that setting the corresponding
class member to null would help - the question is how this can
be done through the server.xml configuration.

So, I'm looking for an example configuration which shows
me how and where the SESSIONS.ser file is created.

Thanks for your help.

Simon.