tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Milt Epstein <mepst...@uiuc.edu>
Subject RE: Start tomcat before apache on RedHat7.3
Date Mon, 13 Jan 2003 23:29:29 GMT
On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Turner, John wrote:

> I'm assuming that you are using the ApacheConfig class to
> auto-generate configuration directives for Apache's httpd.conf.
>
> Tomcat needs time to start up, and the ApacheConfig class needs time
> to write mod_jk.conf (or whatever file you are using).
>
> So, you have to put a delay into the process somewhere.  Like a
> "sleep 20" or something right after the Tomcat script executes, but
> before Apache is started, or take both of them out of init.d and put
> the startup into rc.local where you have more explicit control over
> what runs when, and stick the delay in there.

Another solution is to not use ApacheConfig (i.e. and the dynamically
generated mod_jk.conf file) at all, just use some static version that
you created.  In fact, this makes a lot more sense to me, for a number
of reasons, including that I don't believe ApacheConfig can capture
everything that needs to go into that file, and that once you have
things set, it's not going to change that frequently (so you shouldn't
have to regenerate it every time you start Tomcat).

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
mepstein@uiuc.edu