tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Milt Epstein <mepst...@uiuc.edu>
Subject Re: Problem accessing user ID if Apache used to auithenticate
Date Thu, 09 Jan 2003 19:25:47 GMT
On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Steve Slatcher wrote:

> So I have Apache 2 passing on requests to Tomcat 4.1 using jk2.  I
> can get Apache to authenicate URLs that are forwarded to Tomcat, but
> the user ID seems to get lost in the process so I cannot access it
> from my JSPs.  I have noticed a few references to this in various
> forums but no resolution.  I am not sure if I need some addtional
> configuration steps (what I am using is pretty minimal), or is there
> nothing to be done about it short of diving into Apache or Tomcat
> code?

I'm using Apache 1, Tomcat 4.0, and mod_jk.  On my JK connector tag as
defined in server.xml, I had to add the attribute
tomcatAuthentication="false" to get the user ID (via getRemoteUser) to
be available in Tomcat.  Don't know if this is an issue with your
(somewhat different) setup.

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
mepstein@uiuc.edu