tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Igor I. Tovstopyat-Nelip" <itov...@euch4e.chem.emory.edu>
Subject help - tomcat/dbcp deployment
Date Fri, 10 Jan 2003 22:55:08 GMT
Hi,

I developed a web-app consisting mostly of servlets and JSP, almost no
static content. The application uses mysql and obtains connections from
a dbcp connection pool.

Now I'm deploying it for production on Linux (RedHat 7.2) in a tomcat
standalone configuration. (Almost no static content, no cgi, no virtual
hosts, no clustering, so I decided Apache httpd is not really needed.)

It works pretty good for some time but ... The next morning the server is
up and running but I can't obtain connection. When I'm trying to login
into the app, the LoginServlet which is supposed to get a connection from
the pool gives me an exception. Unfortunately, I can't show it here now,
because I didn't copy it, and it will appear next time only tomorrow. But
it reports something like Connection Failure, so it looks like a
connection cannot be obtained from the pool.

I'm quite positive that all my ResultSet's, Statement's and Connection's
are closed in all appropriate places, and I'm also using 'removeAbandoned'
in the server.xml descriptor.

What can be the source of this problem?

Also, immediately after my tomcat server is started, I lookup the running
processes ( ps -ux ) and see that 25 JVM's is launched. Why so many? Is
this normal? And what scares me is that all of those 25 JVM's are using 6%
of memory each ( 25*6% > 100% ! ). At least this is what the ps command
shows. Can anybody shed some light on this?

Is DBCP good for production? I configured it exactly as the Tomcat docs
instruct.

I will appreciate any comments and advices.

Thank you.

Igor TN