tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Daniel Brown" <gm...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject RE: about singletons (ot)
Date Wed, 29 Jan 2003 08:50:20 GMT
That would depend on if the constructor actually *does* something.

If it needs to set up a connection pool, parse an XML configuration file, or
whatever, then you have the choice of,

- doing this once, reliably, in the constructor, or
- making sure that every single last static method checks to see if this has
already been done.

If the singleton needs to acquire, or process a resource in order to
function, then 'construction is resource acquisition' should save a lot of
typing and bug hunting.

Dan.