tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: what source code control system?
Date Fri, 10 Jan 2003 19:23:58 GMT
> The only was I would consider SourceSafe over CVS
> is if you have money to burn, are windows only, ...

In my case, I have licenses for SourceSafe from before OneTree was acquired
by Microsoft.  It really is a nice revision control system.  In any event, I
did mention cost as one factor for why he likely couldn't use it.  Same
would be even more true of Clearcase.

CVS isn't used because it is great; it is used because heretofore it has
been the best of a bad selection of open source revision control packages.

I'm very hopeful that Subversion will not only eliminate CVS, but also offer
many of the benefits that SourceSafe and other commercial systems offer for
exorbitant fees.

	--- Noel