tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat oddities
Date Thu, 09 Jan 2003 06:58:28 GMT
> Tomcat 4.1.12 is running behind Apache on Windows 2000 on a
> single cpu box, and Oracle is running on a separate Windows
> 2000 2-way box. (Windows was the client decision, not ours.)

Have you checked the 4.1 change log to see if there are fixes past 4.1.12
that might impact you?

> When there are several users on the system, maybe up to 15,
> there is a freeze during which no one can get any responses
> back from Tomcat.  This period usually lasts from 5 to 15
> minutes, after which the system returns to normal and everything
> zips along.

That doesn't sound like GC (not for 5 - 15 min).  That sounds like a
resource lockup hanging things until it times out.  Is it possible that
you're locking up on the database?  Which JVM and JDBC driver?

> nor do we have access to the server so we can't check task manager.

Might I suggest that you fix that situation?

> We've had two reports where a user has had data from an old session
> show up in his/her current session.

Are you *sure* that the session was terminated?  You might want to use the
TomcatTestListener class that I posted last year to watch what happens.  The
sort of thing you are describing is similar to why I wrote it.

	--- Noel