tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Sebastiªo Carlos Santos" <scarlosan...@bol.com.br>
Subject Re: Difficulties with Virtual Host in the Apache + Tomcat
Date Fri, 17 Jan 2003 21:09:18 GMT
Lajos,
   I am also very confused with whole the process of
configuration of the Apache, after the initial problem of
the integration of the Apache with Tomcat in Linux.
   I have faith that some points need to be lifted up:

"you only need the same four hosts configured in Tomcat
is you want to have
different docBase's or different explicitly defined
contexts (or other components)"

The Apache + Tomcat will be the server web of four
applications that are being developed
inside of an university of Brazil, meantime without
commercial ends. These applications
they will have functionalities totally different some of
the other ones, what justifies the
adoption and creation of four virtual hosts, each one
with a different path. Therefore,
it is necessary that the same happened, regarding the
Apache, in the tomcat for the storage of the classes java
and of the
files jsp properly said. We already know that that is
possible then it is a point the
minus of concern.

"I would certainly try to make index.jsp produce valid
HTML for your tests.
You also might want to have a WEB-INF folder w/ a web.xml
in /web/ged."

The file index.jsp that I am using, was a file of tests
very used
for us in the last year, when we used the Caucho Resin,
and the same worked
perfectly in Resin after the end of the configuration of
the server in subject, printing
in the window of the navigator the following message:
aaaaaaaaaaaa
Like you he must have noticed for the own signature of
all my e-mails, mine
area is the one of database, more specifically database
Oracle. I am beginning
now to work with development for the web and I am being
hit a lot of the configuration
of the famous tomcat.
How don't I understand a lot of tomcat thing which the
advantage of having web.xml in the / web/ged/WEB-INF?

"I'm confused by your httpd.conf - first, you don't need
the Include
directive if you have all the Jk directives manually
defined in httpd.conf."

Lajos, now who was confused went me. I accomplished the
whole installation process
basic of the Apache 1.3.27, Tomcat 4.1.18 and the mod_jk
following the instructions
of his/her tutorial Galatea FlashGuideTM: Integrating
Apache 1.3.x - Tomcat 4.x on Unix,
and during the mod_jk I was forced to use "Alternate
build process
it goes mod_jk.so", tends in view that the "Building
mod_jk" didn't work in my atmosphere.
After the installation of the Apache, Tomcat and mod_jk I
left for the
"Configuring Apache with the Jk directives", following
the three described steps.
What really happened with directing Include, it was that
I had an interpretation doubt
in his documentation. For the that I could notice now,
after his e-mail is that or I use
Include or I use what is described in "Configuring Apache
with the Jk directives."

"Second, your <IfModule mod_jk.c> block should come
before the virtual host block.
However, I can't say that either of these two issues are
the root cause of
your problem - everything else looks good."

When in Galatea FlashGuideTM: Integrating Apache 1.3.x -
Tomcat 4.x on Unix, you said
that it was to put him/it <IfModule mod_jk.c> block in
the end of the file httpd.conf found
that it went in the last lines of the file.

Lajos, accomplished all of the suggested changes:
1 - I removed the directing include
2 - I passed the terms below for before NameVirtualHost
200.131.195.5

<IfModule mod_jk.c>
JkWorkersFile "/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-
4.1.18/conf/jk/workers.properties"
JkLogFile "/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-
4.1.18/logs/mod_jk.log"

JkLogLevel debug

JkMount /examples ajp13
JkMount /examples/* ajp13
</IfModule>

3 - I changed the docBase of the <Context> for /web

Now, trying to access the servant, I receive the
following message in http://www.ged.ufu.br

HTTP Status 500 - No Context configured to process this
request

----------------------

type Status report

message No Context configured to process this request

description The server encountered an internal error (No
Context configured to process this request) that
prevented it from fulfilling this request.

----------------------

Apache Tomcat/4.1.18

It lets me to ask a thing. Starting from the moment that
I include my own host in the
server.xml, as shown in my first e-mail, I need to remove
of the configuration
of Tomcat the <Host name = "localhost".... that has soon
above, in other words, the host that
does it come for default in server.xml?
You have some other suggestion of what to do, who knows,
if it is possible of his part
I can order you server.xml or httpd.conf.
I thank the help of all a lot you.
Respectfully,

Sebastião Carlos Santos
Oracle Database Administrator - DBA 8i
Universidade Federal de Uberlândia - UFU
Gratificação de Estímulo à Docência - GED