tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "David Keyes" <david.ke...@flashline.com>
Subject RE: Resources for a Context
Date Wed, 22 Jan 2003 22:09:44 GMT
I would be happy to make any modifications that would be required.  I've spent a bit of time
looking around at the source already, but I'm not sure what the best approach would be.  It
would be nice if it could be done in a "plugin" kind of way, but after looking around a bit,
it seems that the concept of a single physical directory as a docbase is pretty ingrained
(comments?).

So far, I've looked at the following:

1. Writing a new catalina Context implementation
2. Writing a new jndi DirContext implementation, that would be configurable to take multiple
directories

Of those two, I think #2 makes the most sense, but I have doubts as to whether it would solve
the problem.  What I'm afraid of is that the changes required are peppered throughout the
Tomcat codebase.  Any pointers that you could give me to get me started in the right direction
initially would be hugely appreciated.

The only reason that I'm spending so much energy on this is that for very large web applications
that are not structured as a webapp, which I think is rather common, it would be a HUGE aid
in debugging to be able to pull something like this off.  The code/compile/debug cycle gets
a bit cumbersome when one is constantly redeploying large apps.  I think for deployment the
spec works just fine.

Thanks again for your help, and all of your excellent work.

Dave Keyes