tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Bowsher, Jason P" <>
Subject Tomcat configuration? Unable to find packages or classes
Date Thu, 02 Jan 2003 10:40:39 GMT
Hello, I am having trouble getting Tomcat to find my class and jar files
when compiling custom jsp pages (Tomcat examples work fine).  Having spent a
week or so looking at this I am hoping someone can help or point me in the
right direction.  I get the following error from

java:50: cannot resolve symbol
symbol : class MyClass location: class org.apache.jsp.MyPage_jsp
MyClass adb = new MyClass();

Regards Jason
Redhat 7.1, Apache 1.3.27,  Tomcat 4.1.18, sdk 1.4.1_01, sdkee 1.3.1
I have the following virtual host defined in my server.xml:
<Host name="" appBase="~myhome/webdev/" debug="0"
<Logger className="org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger" directory="logs"
prefix="me." suffix=".log" timestamp="true"/>
<Context path="" docBase="ROOT" debug="0" reloadable="true"/>
I have the following jsp in ~myhome/webdev/ROOT with MyClass.class placed in
WEB_INF/classes (also tried with ajar in WEB_INF/lib and the class and jar
in variuos potential classpath and tomcat common directories);
<%@ page language="java" import ="java.util.Vector"%>
<!-- also tried with MyClass, MyClass.* in import statement -->
<%MyClass adb = new MyClass();
if (adb.openConnection()!=null)
{ %>
<% } else
{ %>
Not Connected
<% } %>
Have also tried moving the entire app tree to the $CATALINA_HOME/webapp
directory and copied $CATALINA_HOME/webapp/examples to ~myhome/webdev/ROOT
(they don't work their).

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message