tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Resources for a Context
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2003 13:59:58 GMT
Howdy,
Can you please illustrate a possible use for this feature before you
start coding it?  A use case which can't be addressed by the servlet
spec, that is.  Right now, I doubt such a contribution would be accepted
into tomcat's core, so you may not want to waste time writing it at all
;)

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

I've
>spent a bit of time looking around at the source already, but I'm not
sure
>what the best approach would be.  It would be nice if it could be done
in a
>"plugin" kind of way, but after looking around a bit, it seems that the
>concept of a single physical directory as a docbase is pretty ingrained
>(comments?).
>
>So far, I've looked at the following:
>
>1. Writing a new catalina Context implementation
>2. Writing a new jndi DirContext implementation, that would be
configurable
>to take multiple directories
>
>Of those two, I think #2 makes the most sense, but I have doubts as to
>whether it would solve the problem.  What I'm afraid of is that the
changes
>required are peppered throughout the Tomcat codebase.  Any pointers
that
>you could give me to get me started in the right direction initially
would
>be hugely appreciated.
>
>The only reason that I'm spending so much energy on this is that for
very
>large web applications that are not structured as a webapp, which I
think
>is rather common, it would be a HUGE aid in debugging to be able to
pull
>something like this off.  The code/compile/debug cycle gets a bit
>cumbersome when one is constantly redeploying large apps.  I think for
>deployment the spec works just fine.
>
>Thanks again for your help, and all of your excellent work.
>
>Dave Keyes

Resources