tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: How do I get the absolute path of a file in a directory above WEB-INF directory of my web application?
Date Mon, 20 Jan 2003 15:14:57 GMT
Hi,

>Just to make sure I have this right: the only time that a webapp is
>allowed to write files in a portable fashion is in the temporary
>directory provided by the ServletContext?

Yes.

All other writing should be done to directories/files declared as
parameters to your context or servlets.  For example:
<context-param>
  <param-name>logFile</param-name>
  <param-value>/tmp/blahblahLogs/blahblahLogFile.txt</param-value>
</context-param>

This way other people using/deploying your app can configure these
settings to a directory that suits their deployment.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics