tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shah, Sanjay" <Sanjay.S...@tfn.com>
Subject RE: FTP and Tomcat
Date Thu, 09 Jan 2003 19:17:06 GMT

I am going to use http transfer method using tomcat (Second option in your
response).
Is there a way I can configure tomcat to redirect users to respective
location/page/directory based on their user names?

Thanks again.
-----Original Message-----
From: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:craigmcc@apache.org]
Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 2:10 PM
To: Shah, Sanjay
Cc: 'Tomcat Users List'
Subject: Re: FTP and Tomcat

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Shah, Sanjay wrote:

> Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 13:52:55 -0500
> From: "Shah, Sanjay" <Sanjay.Shah@tfn.com>
> To: 'Craig R. McClanahan' <craigmcc@apache.org>
> Cc: 'Tomcat Users List' <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: FTP and Tomcat
>
> Craig,
>
> Thanks. What do you mean by standard FTP server?  Is that a separate from
> Tomcat?
> If so, which FTP server did you use?

I've used several -- including WU-FTPD that Red Hat documents.  Solaris
comes with one as well.

>  Is it possible to integrate that ftp
> server to tomcat?
> I am trying to give secure ftp access to clients after their
authentication.
> And I am trying to use tomcat as Request handler server providing
> authentication.

I don't know of any standard TCP client apps that will support
authenticating across HTTP and transferring files over FTP, so it's not
clear to me that such an animal would be useful even if it did exist.
Also, if you're just downloading files, why not just let them download the
files via HTTP already since they are already interacting with you that
way?

It wouldn't be terribly difficult to make the same usernames and passwords
work for both -- find an FTP server that lets you plug in an
authentication module (some of them use PAM for that sort of thing), and
configure the plugin so that it looks at the same database or whatever
that you point Tomcat at.

Craig