tomcat-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Ron Day" <>
Subject RE: You used <servlet-mapping> to make your servlet work, but what about a JSP page with a bean?
Date Tue, 14 Jan 2003 22:38:06 GMT
Is your bean in a package? If not Tomcat will not find it in the default

just add "package com.mypackage" to bean source, and put class file in


-----Original Message-----
From: Wilson Snook []
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 4:31 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: You used <servlet-mapping> to make your servlet work, but what
about a JSP page with a bean?

I am a newbie experiencing a very frustrating problem.  I have a web
application that uses a packaged javabean.  When I create a web application
with the correct directory structure under the 'webapps' directory (see
below), having created a context in 'server.xml', going to the localhost
page produces the following error:

 HTTP Status 500: ...JasperException: Cannot find any information on
property 'uName' in a bean of type 'coreBeans.FormBean'...

BUT...if I move this application's components in the appropriate directories
under the 'examples' folder, it works (therefore the JSP page and the bean
are not broken in any way).

BUT...if I leave the webapp where it is and disable the bean, the JSP page
works (although that's not a lot of use <g>) even if I use JSP statements in
it.  I do have Apache HTTP server on this machine, but I mention it without
knowing how this would be relevant in any way.

AND...I tested another web application that uses a servlet and this would
not work either.  HOWEVER...I fixed that by using a suitable
<servlet-mapping> tag in 'web.xml'.  Unfortunately, I don't think I can do
this with a bean (or can I?).

Does anyone out there know:
    1) why my webapp can't find the bean class?
    2) why mapping a servlet solves a similar problem for a JSP page using
    3) how I can get my webapp to find the bean class?

I won't at this stage post the webapp JSP page, bean code or xml since I
know they work if placed under the 'examples' directory.

This problem has been driving me nuts for nearly a week and if anybody could
shed some light upon it I think I would be close to ecstatic.



::Tomcat 4.1.18
::Apache 2.043

My directory structure is:


My context in 'server.xml' is:

    <Context path="/core" docBase="core" debug="0" reloadable="true" />

The (unmodified) virtual host is

    <Host name="localhost" debug="0" appBase="webapps"
       unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true">
      <Listener className="org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.config.ApacheConfig"
                        append="true"  />

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message