tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mike Bachrynowski" <Mike.Bachrynow...@thistle.co.uk>
Subject RE: Serving files from the Apache docroot
Date Mon, 27 Jan 2003 15:44:10 GMT
A further thought is that this is because Tomcat4 is configured as both
stand-alone and as JK2 connected to Apache.  I only hold on Tomcat4, jsp
elements and a restricted set of xml and xslt elements.  I hold on
Apache2 everything else.  By forceing a directory change in "href" and
"src" HTML attribute references then Apache2 works correctly.

I use JSP to dynamically format (using XSLT) an XML page to HTML.
The generated HTML page contains the following.

If the generated html page contains
<LINK REL="STYLESHEET" TYPE="text/css" HREF="../styles/mainie5.css" />
all works well and the stylesheet is served from Apache2 as required.
If the generated html page contains
<LINK REL="STYLESHEET" TYPE="text/css" HREF="mainie5.css" />
then "mainie5.css" cannot be found.  If I add this file to Tomcat all
works OK.

Likewise references to "../images/logo.gif" are directed to Apache2
whereas "logo.gif" is directed to Tomcat4.

My IT Operations colleagues who have a more detailed knowledge of
configuring Apache than I have suggest that if Tomcat is not configured
as stand-alone and MIME type support on Tomcat for all except jsp, xml
and xslt is removed then all should work OK.

Perhaps this is a "development" non issue because in production we would
only run Tomcat behind Apache2 and never as stand-alone....therefore the
problem would not occur.

Mike