tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Ralph Einfeldt" <ralph.einfe...@uptime-isc.de>
Subject RE: Start 2 x tomcat on same server
Date Fri, 24 Jan 2003 12:03:02 GMT
Short answer: yes :)

Longer answer:

First:
  Have a look at RUNNING.txt in the tomcat 4 distribution:

  (4) Advanced Configuration - Multiple Tomcat 4 Instances

Second:

The following is for unix and tomcat standalone. But it
should be a good starting point for other environments.

We have a structure like
this:

/usr/local/java/jdk/ibm1.3
/usr/local/java/jdk/sun1.3
/usr/local/java/jdk/sun1.3.1
/usr/local/java/jdk/sun1.4

/usr/local/java/tomcat-4.0.3
/usr/local/java/tomcat-4.0.4

/www/online/<site>
  /log
    dirctory for the log file
  /conf
    web.xml
    server.xml
      and other files that contain the site specific setup for tomcat
      (tailored versions of the files that are provided by
       tomcat)
      make shure that the combination of IP and port are unique for
      each instance of tomcat.
  /work
    Directory where tomcat stores the generated files and classes
  /webapps
     Directories for the contexts
  /bin
    start.sh
      Script that calls the tomcat that we want to use for
      this site with the environment for this site:

      JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/java/jdk/sun1.3.1
      CATALINA_HOME=/usr/local/java/tomcat-4.0.3
      CATALINA_BASE=/www/online/<site>

      export JAVA_HOME CATALINA_HOME CATALINA_BASE
      ${CATALINA_HOME}/bin/startup.sh

This way we can have different versions of tomcat at the same time,
all sites that use the same tomcat version use the same 'executable'
but different processes and individual configuration. If we want to
use an other version of tomcat we just have to change CATALINA_HOME
in start.sh (unless the config files are incompatible between these
versions)

Ralph Einfeldt
Uptime Internet Solution Center GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Hosting, Content Management, Java Consulting
http://www.uptime-isc.de