tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Sean Dockery" <s...@sbdconsultants.com>
Subject Consequence of not declaring a resource-ref?
Date Tue, 28 Jan 2003 18:35:49 GMT
I deployed a JDBC datasource in my web-app's context in server.xml, but I
neglected to declare a resource-ref block in my WEB-INF/web.xml.  Tomcat
successfully retrieved the datasource through JNDI anyway.  Out of
curiousity, I tried removing the Resource declaration from server.xml and
inserting a resource-ref block into WEB-INF/web.xml to see if Tomcat would
complain about a resource-ref dependency, but Tomcat did not complain.
There was nothing in the logs in either case.  Tomcat did fail to locate the
JDBC datasource (as I expect it would) in the latter case.

Does anyone know what the consequence of not declaring a resource-ref block
in your WEB-INF/web.xml?  (Other than the obvious value to deployers to can
see the logical names under which JDBC data sources should be deployed.)