tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Wendy Smoak <>
Subject RE: servlets
Date Tue, 28 Jan 2003 22:32:27 GMT
Craig wrote
> The servlet spec guarantees that you will get a single instance of a
> non-SingleThreadModel servlet PER <servlet> DEFINITION for that webapp.
> See Section SRV.2.2 of the Servlet 2.3 spec for the formal details.

Interesting... I was under the impression that the container was free to
create as many instances of your Servlet as it wanted to, but that appears
to be the case *only* for SingleThreadModel.  (Does anyone actually _use_

So as long as you're not in a distributed environment [multiple Tomcats?]
and not implementing SingleThreadModel, it appears you *can* assume that
there will be only one instance of your Servlet.

Wendy Smoak
Applications Systems Analyst, Sr.