tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Wendy Smoak <Wendy.Sm...@asu.edu>
Subject RE: tomcat not starting after reboot or from cron
Date Wed, 22 Jan 2003 20:22:58 GMT
> If you can do it manually, from a log in session, but not automatically
from
> startup or from cron, I'm 99% sure it's because environment variables like
> JAVA_HOME and CATALINA_HOME are not being set for the startup and cron
> environments.  Without those, you won't get anything.  They're probably
> being set just fine for you when you log in.

We're having the same problem with 4.1.1x on HP-UX 11.  We did have
JAVA_HOME set, but not CATALINA_HOME, CATALINA_BASE or CATALINA_TMPDIR.  But
adding those three didn't help.

Curiously, you can (as root) type '/sbin/init.d/hpws_tomcat start' (sans
single quotes) and it starts up just fine.

It's executing this:
su www -c "$HPWS_TOMCAT_HOME/bin/startup.sh 1>/dev/null 2>&1"

I also added export statments for the three CATALINA variables to the
hpws_tomcat script, seeing that there was an export for JAVA_HOME in there
already.

The [Unix] startup logs show "Tomcat Started" which gets output if all is
well after the line above.  But the Tomcat logs show *nothing* as if
startup.sh was never run, and it isn't running.

It's a mystery, but since I can start Tomcat manually it's not an emergency.
Any ideas?

--
Wendy Smoak
Applications Systems Analyst, Sr.