tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Hari Venkatesan" <hvenkate...@pfgc.com>
Subject RE: Startup parameters
Date Fri, 17 Jan 2003 22:37:01 GMT
Setting the parameters in Catalina.bat would not work if you run Tomcat
as a service since you service is calling tomcat.exe directly and not
startup.bat or Catalina.bat.

But to test out before you start the service you can put the values in
CATALINA_OPTS = -Xms128m -Xmx258 etc and run Catalina.bat. You can also
set the values as Environment Variables and forget about changing it in
Catalina.bat

To Run it as service and with the parameters follow the link

http://www.mattkelli.com/tech/tomcat/ntservice.htm

Hope this helps

Hari

-----Original Message-----
From: Nathan McMinn [mailto:nmcminn@charter.net]
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2003 5:22 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Startup parameters

OK, one quick question that I'm sure anybody here but me can answer.

I am running Tomcat as a service on windows 2000 server.  I want to set
some
JVM parameters when tomcat starts (things like -server, -Xmx, -Xms,
etc).
Where would I go about making these changes?  I've looked through the
catalina.bat file, but is this even executed when tomcat is run as a
service?  according to the services applet in the control panel, the
service
runs tomcat.exe.  Does this in turn call the startup script? Or do I
need to
pass the parameters using -jvm_option to tomcat.exe?  As an aside, is
there
anything that can be done to optimize tomcat for execution on a
multi-processor system?

--Nathan McMinn