tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Matt Jackson <m...@optimad.com>
Subject RE: Unexpected reload of MainServlet
Date Thu, 09 Jan 2003 18:42:59 GMT
Thanks,

This seems to be the only option, although I am puzzled why the Tomcat
container would release the reference to the servlet.  Surely the point of
being loaded on Tomcat startup is that servlet object is kept in continuous
reference for the life cycle of the Tomcat instance - thereby never being
garbage collected.

Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: Shapira, Yoav [mailto:Yoav.Shapira@mpi.com]
Sent: 09 January 2003 15:13
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Unexpected reload of MainServlet

Hi,
The servlet container is free to destroy and reinitialize servlets,
including load-on-startup servlets.  Tomcat doesn't normally do this,
however.

Could it be you had enough usage to run our of memory, thereby forcing
an aggressive GC?  If you're running with verbose:gc, you'd see an
Unloading [class name of your servlet] message in your console log.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics