tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kevin Wilson <Kevin.Wil...@comtrol.com>
Subject RE: Form Data & IE vs NS
Date Fri, 24 Jan 2003 15:33:06 GMT
I am more curious as to why form data worked in previous versions of IE and
now does not for its latest version. If it works for NS on the same machine
then why not IE?

Microsoft is really starting to piss me off with the issues surrounding
their latest "bug fixes" which are screwing up functionality that worked in
the past...grrr!

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Lunnon [mailto:bill@mirrim.com.au]
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 3:55 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Form Data & IE vs NS

[Suggestion]
Don't rely on browsers to retain the previous data on a a posted form.
If you have detected an error, retrieve the data that was posted (via
request.getParamter()) and populate the form yourself.

Sample scriptlet could be

<%
String lastFoo = "";
//error detected, haveError set to true
if (haveError == true) {
	lastFoo = request.getParameter("foo");
}
%>
<input type="text" name="foo" value="<%=lastFoo%>>

This solution has worked on all browsers, regardless of version, because it
doesn't rely on the browser.

Hope this helps

Bill