tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Larry Isaacs" <Larry.Isa...@sas.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat 3.2`
Date Mon, 27 Jan 2003 18:13:46 GMT
You will need to be aware of a little bit about how
classloaders behave.   Tomcat will create a webapp
classloader that includes WEB-INF/classes and the jars
WEB-INF/lib.  In Tomcat 3.2.x, a parent of this webapp
classloader is the "CLASSPATH" classloader.  As the parent,
classes in the webapp classloader can access classes in the
"CLASSPATH" classloader.  However, classes in the "CLASSPATH"
classloader can *NOT* access classes in the child webapp
classloader.

Most likely some class currently in your CLASSPATH, or
extensions directory, is trying to do this.  Hopefully,
the resulting stack trace can give you some clues as to
which classes are involved and then determine how best to
resolve the problem.

You can try putting the jar(s) on the CLASSPATH.  However,
even if this fixes this issue, doing so may have other
undesirable side effects.  For example, if you move
classes112.jar to the CLASSPATH, it would no longer
access to other the classes in the webapp classloader that
it previously had.

Cheers,
Larry