tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Reynir Hübner <rey...@hugsmidjan.is>
Subject RE: Servlet channing
Date Thu, 16 Jan 2003 20:04:17 GMT
I can of course only answer this for my self, but the main reason is Struts is an implementation
of a specific pattern. When I started writing J2EE applications some time ago, struts was
not fully grown. I had a pattern in my mind that I wanted to have an implementation of. The
main thing in this pattern is the servlet chaining mechanism (btw, filters had not be introduced
(to tomcat or other app servers) when I wrote this chaining mechanism).
I have to admitt the fact that I have never used struts, and I have not really spent a lot
of time on checking it out.
The functionality I wanted in my servlet-chains is the ability to create streamlines, that
have can have multiple starting nodes and an multiple stop nodes. This means I need to be
able to build in some "flow logic" into the servlet chain mechanism, I can't see how that
would be done with filters, at least not in the way I want.
Each servlet in a chain has some specific purpouse such as determine the user who is logged
on, determine some data that will be used in the presentation layer below the chain. If anyone
has seen Intershops Enfinity Pipelines my application does similar things, in similar ways
except less propriatary.

So I think servlet chaining, struts and filters all describe sepperate patterns even though
there isn't much difference between them.

-reynir

Ps.
 - Just saw your reply about barracuda, it's cool, I would say a different implementation
of a similar functionality.