tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Turner, John" <JTur...@AAS.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat configuration problem: JSPs work, servlets don't
Date Wed, 22 Jan 2003 22:16:54 GMT

Sorry, I should have been clearer.

Have you mapped HelloServlet in web.xml?  You can't just drop a servlet into
a directory anymore, especially the default ROOT directory...the default
Invoker servlet (which used to let you just drop a servlet into a directory
and have it work) is disabled by default for security reasons in recent
versions of 4.1.x.  The examples directory has the Invoker servlet enabled,
that's why it works there and not elsewhere.

If you really must enable the Invoker servlet (not recommended, definitely
not for a production machine, so eventually you will have to understand how
to map it in web.xml anyway so you might as well start now), then edit
CATALINA_HOME/conf/web.xml and enable the following by removing the "<!--"
and the "-->", then restart Tomcat:

<!-- The mapping for the invoker servlet -->
<!--
    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>invoker</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/servlet/*</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>
-->

The preferred and recommended method is to explicitly map your servlet in
your application's web.xml file, something like:

    <servlet>
        <servlet-name>HelloServlet</servlet-name>
        <servlet-class>
          path.to.my.class.files.HelloServlet
        </servlet-class>
    </servlet>
    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>HelloServlet</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/HelloServlet</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>

For more info check the docs.

John