tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Turner, John" <JTur...@AAS.com>
Subject RE: unsubscribing to this mailing list
Date Tue, 07 Jan 2003 03:43:45 GMT

Understood.  I brought it up because I've never seen "asia.bigfoot.com",
only "bigfoot.com".  Thus, if the mailing list thinks he is
"@asia.bigfoot.com" but the address he uses is "@bigfoot.com", there would
be an issue.

John

-----Original Message-----
From: Milt Epstein
To: Tomcat Users List
Cc: Mark.Goking@asia.bigfoot.com
Sent: 1/6/03 10:05 PM
Subject: RE: unsubscribing to this mailing list

On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Turner, John wrote:

> Are you sure you are using the correct "from" address?  I was able
> to unsubscribe and resubscribe myself twice in the past 6 weeks when
> going on vacation.
>
> FYI, the mail header I get says your address is "@asia.bigfoot.com".
> Is that what you are using?

Note that what address he is sending mail from (and/or what address he
ultimately receives mail at) doesn't necessarily matter.  What matters
is what address the mailing list is sending his messages to.  And
because of aliases, forwarding, change of addresses, etc., that could
be different.  What he needs to do is determine what that address is.
This can be done by looking for a mail header like the following:

How he does this depends on what mailer he's using.  MS mailers should
have an option that allows one to look at the headers.

The above is what it looks like for me.  It indicates that the mailing
list sent the message to mepstein@uiuc.edu (it changes '@'s to '='s).
And if I want to unsubscribe from the list, that's the address I have
to tell it to unsubscribe.  I can do this by sending a message to:

Of course, I won't say that there aren't problems with the mailing
list software beyond the above.  But I know it is an issue, and I'd
like to have verification that someone has tried dealing with this
properly before moving on to other possibilities.

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
mepstein@uiuc.edu