tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Turner, John" <JTur...@AAS.com>
Subject RE: can tomcat do dynamic virtual hosts?
Date Fri, 03 Jan 2003 03:33:11 GMT

I think you're overthinking it.  Tomcat != Apache.  Webapps != Document
Roots.

Tomcat needs to do what it needs to do because a web app is more than just a
directory that has content in it.

You can't map a.myhost.com to /examples/a and b.myhost.com to examples/b for
a very good reason.  There's no such thing as /examples/a and /examples/b.
If you want that you setup /examples-a and /examples-b, which you CAN do
with the auto-deploy function.

Don't make Apache = Tomcat...they're completely different, not just in name
and codebase, but also in purpose, intent, and design.

On that note, anyone who tries to do power hosting with Tomcat in a single
instance is being foolish, but that's my own personal opinion.  My
production servers are using Jserv, but I wouldn't think of using a single
Tomcat instance for all of my virtual hosts.  Doesn't make any sense at all.
>From a user standpoint, if I was paying $30 a month or whatever for hosting,
and my ISP told me that they couldn't restart my application because it
would effect others, or that my application was going to be down because
someone else's application was causing problems, I'd be pretty upset.  From
that perspective, Tomcat does virtual hosting just fine, using separate
instances, provided you have the resources.

John