tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Turner, John" <JTur...@AAS.com>
Subject RE: can tomcat do dynamic virtual hosts?
Date Thu, 02 Jan 2003 21:24:35 GMT

Hmmm...you lost me there.  Yes, you do map to a Context directly, at least
you do with JK.  That's exactly what having a JK block for "/examples",
does, for example.  With Apaches 'apachectl restart' or 'apachectl graceful'
you can pick up both new virtual hosts and new JkMounts for those virtual
hosts.

On the Apache side, what more does there need to be?

John

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph Shraibman [mailto:jks@selectacast.net]
Sent: Thursday, January 02, 2003 3:10 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: can tomcat do dynamic virtual hosts?

Apache already supports dynamic virtual hosting. See
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/vhosts/mass.html. That's what I'm talking
about. The
problem is that when connecting apache to tomcat you can't map into a
contect directly,
you only pass the request along to tomcat so somcat has to find the proper
<Host> based on
the requested host name. If the connector could map directly into a context
then Apache
could do something like:
JkMount /* worker1:mycontext/%0/

Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> As for the web connectors, you'll need to ask someone who understands
> and works on them what the plans are for supporting dynamic
> configuration changes.  Given that Apache doesn't appear to support
> them, I would guess this is going to be a challenge -- but that's
> outside my area of expertise.

---